Visa / Visiting Japan


Visa Information Hotline

For general visa information, please call JAPAN VISA INFORMATION HOTLINE.
TEL: +1-202-773-9557 (24 hours/7 days a week. For U.S. citizens, English only)*

* The applicant(s) should contact the Consular Office directly regarding the pending case(s). The Hotline will not connect you to the Consular Office.

The information listed below only applies to standard entry procedures. Please read the notice on the "Restrictions Related to Covid-19" for more information.


1. Introduction

The Visa Section of the Consular Office of Japan takes care of the issuance of visas to foreign nationals who wish to visit Japan. Whether you need to obtain a visa in order to enter Japan depends upon the purpose of visit, length of your stay, your nationality, etc. Please read the following instructions carefully to determine if you need a visa.

IMPORTANT: If you have any questions regarding visas, the following information must be provided:

  1. Your nationality
  2. Your visa status in the United States
  3. Purpose of your trip to Japan
  4. Your intended length of stay in Japan
  5. Your occupation
  6. Your telephone number

Please contact us at: 503-221-1811 or

The processing period for visa issuance is approximately 5 working days from the day after the date of the acceptance of application as long as there are no particular problems with the content of the application. It may take less time than it depending on the purpose of visit. For details, please visit:

Criteria of Visa Issuance

In principle, Japanese visa will be issued to an applicant, when he/she fills all of the following requirements and the issuance is regarded as reasonable.

  • a) The applicant possesses a valid passport and is entitled for the re-entry to a country of which he/she is a national or citizen or a country of his/her residence.
  • b) All submitted documents shall be authentic, completed and satisfactory.
  • c) The activities to be engaged in while in Japan, or the civil status or the position of the applicant, and the period of stay shall meet the requirements for the status of residence and period of stay stipulated in the Immigration Control and Recognition Act. (Cabinet Order No.319 of 1951. hereinafter referred to as “the Act”)
  • d) The applicant shall not fall under any of the items of Article 5, Paragraph 1 of the Act.


Visa applications should be made at the Japanese embassy or consulate with jurisdiction over applicant's place of permanent residence. You may apply for a visa at this office if you live, work, and are currently within the area covered by this office. That area consists of Oregon and Southern Idaho. If you are not located within the area covered by this office, please contact the Japanese Consulate or Embassy that handles visas for your area. We may decline visa applications from areas outside our jurisdiction.

2. Visa Overview

Generally, a national of a foreign country who wishes to enter Japan must first obtain a visa. Under the Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act of Japan, it is stipulated that any foreigner wishing to enter or land in Japan must possess a valid passport and a visa obtained from an embassy or consulate. Travelers from certain countries may be eligible to visit Japan without a visa under visa exemption arrangements.

Categories of Visa

Before applying, visa applicants must first decide which kind of visa to apply for according to the purpose of their visit to Japan. The documentation required for application differs according to the kind of visa the applicant needs. Please check the link below:

At the Port of Entry

A visa itself does not guarantee landing (status of residence) permission. A visa is a recommendation that a foreigner should be allowed to enter Japan. In other words, it is a kind of certificate issued by the ambassador or consul verifying that the foreigner's passport is genuine and valid and that the application for a stay in Japan for the purpose and period indicated on the visa has been deemed appropriate. Landing permission is stamped in a foreigner's passport by immigration officers at the airport or seaport where he or she goes through immigration procedures. It is this landing permission, not a visa, that serves as the legal basis for the foreigner's stay in Japan. A visa is only a recommendation and does not automatically guarantee landing permission.

3. Temporary Visitor Visa

Who Can Use a Temporary Visitor Visa

A Temporary Visitor Visa is for those who intend to stay in Japan for 90 days or less for such purposes as follows:
Sightseeing, visiting relatives, friends etc., business purposes (such as market research, business meeting etc.), or other similar activities during a short period of stay in Japan.

Visa Exemption

U.S. citizens and citizens of other countries which have a reciprocal visa exemption arrangement with Japan may be eligible to visit Japan without a visa for a short-term stay for the activities allowed as Temporary Visitors. For more information about reciprocal visa exemption arrangements, please visit:

Basic Documentation

Each Temporary Visitor Visa applicant must submit the following basic documents:

  1. Valid passport with a valid U.S. visa or Green Card (at least one full empty visa page left). If you submit a PERMIT TO REENTER THE UNITED STATES issued by the U.S. government, it must have a validity date at least six months beyond the date of visa application.
  2. An application form completed and signed. Blank forms are available at Japanese consular offices. You can also download by clicking on blank forms in PDF document (You can fill in the form by typing the form on the website, then print and sign the form) from the website of the Foreign Ministry of Japan.
  3. A 2” x 2” photo taken within six months of application date.
  4. A record of the reservation with flight itinerary showing travel to, through and/or from Japan, including a traveler’s name, dates and flight numbers.
    * Please Note: We are not responsible for tickets, which are unusable due to delay or denial of visa.
  5. Hotel reservation(s) or information about a place of stay.
  6. For BUSINESS Trip, a letter signed by an appropriate officer of the applicant's firm, stating:
    • a) The nature of the applicant's business in Japan
    • b) The name, address and phone number of a business contact in Japan
    • c) Salary, length of employment, a statement of the company covering all business-trip expenses
  7. For TOURISM, or to VISIT FRIENDS or RELATIVES, proof is required that person concerned can defray all expenses incurred during their stay in Japan, which include:
    • a) bank statements
    • b) most recent federal tax return

***Additional document(s) may be requested depending on an applicant circumstance.

4. How to obtain more information on Visa

Any Visa information given prior to an actual application is for informational purposes only. Specific Visa Requirements can only be determined after we see your documents.

For more information, you may inquire at the Consular Office Visa Section (503) 221-1811.

For general information on Japanese Visas, click the link below: